I feel like nothing screams vintage the way that avocado-colored appliances from the 1960s and onward do! Also I really like guacamole. So today I have some really fun and lighthearted avocado inspired half moon nails (also a tip to 1950s-ish style nails) with a freehand avocado accent nail. Read on to hear how I did these!
These are SO fun to wear and to paint! Best part? They weren't nearly as time consuming as I thought they would be. Here's what I did to achieve these:
- Paint a single quick coat of RBL Opaque Nude on all the nails I want to make into avocado half moons
- Slap some of Revlon Parfumerie Autumn Spice at the cuticle end - this will be the avocado seed! ((I was lazy and just did this half way up my nail knowing that I would be doing a gradient over it))
- Wait for this first layer to set up enough to put tape on it (you could put a quick dry top coat on at this point if you're really short on time but I only wanted to do clean up once so I waited)
- Tape off your fingerbits - I usually just grab one long piece of tape and place it as close to the nail as possible on one side, wrapping up around the finger tip, and down to the other side
- Use a round sticker of some kind to mark off the 'seed' half moon area (I would probably use full stickers instead of hole reinforcements since I didn't want to worry about accidentally sponging over the hole)
- Using a slightly damp makeup sponge dab a gradient on in shades of avocado-y green!
- Rejoice in your avocado half moon nails :D
For my avocado flesh gradient colors I used white, yellow (Cult Nails You're My Dandy Lion), medium yellow-toned green (Rescue Beauty Lounge Abi), and a darker green for the edges (ManGlaze Nawsome Sauce). Whenever I do gradients I paint the polish directly onto the sponge using the bottle from the polish brush, and I also make sure to overlap everything a little bit so that it mixes well when you dab dab it onto your nails.
The freehanded avocado accent nail was done with all the same polishes as the other nails, a small striping brush, and some dotting tools. THANKFULLY avocados are sort of weird shaped so they're almost impossible to paint "wrong"! I love these.
Now check out the other Digit-al Dozen nails below!!
Disclosure: I bought ALL the things! If you'd like to know more about my policies, please read my disclosure page.