Anyway, today I'm continuing the Strong Stash Starters series, which focuses on what I think are the 10 most vital types/categories of polishes to start a fundamental polish collection, and this category is...."Whatever YOUR Power Color is!" i.e. whatever your favorite color is, of course you need it in your collection! Just make sure it's a
Today I'm showing you MY "power" color and some polish examples of shades I use all.the.time because they are my favorite. Next week I'll do some suggestions of my favorite polishes for other colors of the rainbow that are possibly Your Power Color and maybe we can make some sort of master, super-hero-polish-list 2gether. For me, a power color is basically your favorite color in a magical glass bottle that you love to paint with - the formula is perfect so both painting it on AND wearing it is fun. It puts a smile on your face, you seek it out over other similar colors, you use it alllll the time, etc. Most importantly is that it makes you feel really happy, and good, like a big sigh of relief, because it makes you feel very 'you'.
They're out of order in the bar above, but I'm starting on the left with the darker Pure Ice blue and going clockwise up to the right and then down.
- I am a blue person. If it comes in blue (or blue-based minty-tealy-bluey-cyany), that's the one I want. I hemmed and hawed for a very long time, but now that I've made The Decision, I feel very firmly that it is true: Pure Ice French Kiss is my power color. I like painting with it, the formula is always great and easy to use. I haven't noticed any staining with it (or maybe I'm blinded by love to it and I just haven't even noticed). It is a creme, but it has this sort of squishiness to it that I really like. It's not too neon bright, nor too dark navy. It is literally my perfect nail polish. Best part? I can hoard and hoard and hoard like 10 back up bottles because Pure Ice is a mere $2 at Walmart. [Only downside is that I have to go to Walmart, and the one closest to my house is a mess.] This is like the polish I want to pass on to my grandkids. [$ - budget buy]
- Coming in at second place is China Glaze Bahamian Escape - the perfect light sky blue creme polish. I bought it as a dupe for OPI's Whats With the Cattitude? which is really hard to find for a price I want to pay, but it's cool because I think I prefer the brighter edge of ChG BE anyhoo. This, similar to Pure Ice French Kiss, is just one of those polishes that is fun for me to paint with. The formula is nice, thick, and smooth, and almost always a one-coater. I love it! I've heard it's HTF? But it's still available on TransDesign.com for a normal price, so I'm not worried. Unless y'all are going to go buy a bunch of it, in which case let me know and I'll pick up a third and fourth bottle ;) [$ - budget buy]
- Third place for me is Sally Hansen Mint Sorbet. I don't know why, but I'm straight up obsessed with this creamy, easy-to-paint mint lately! I guess I just forgot/assumed that it's beautiful pastel-ness would be a streaky hot mess, but it is all kinds of perfect. Because sometimes it's sort of a risk saying you like mint (like, could you imagine YELLOW being your favorite color, but you're cursed with the one kind of polish that is the very streakiest?! Eek!) Guess what? This is also around the $2-3 price point at the drugstore! Lucky for us mint lovers! [$ - budget buy]
Pure Ice French Kiss gets use a LOT. Cloudicure, dots over grey, abstract floral mani, swatch of Nostalgic Nail Lacquer As If!, stripes skittles
under an awesome neon glitter (Trelly's M.I.S.C. Polish), under an awesome periwinkley-fantastical thing (also, cat), and with some very cool mini neon glitters
Why are these all so cheap? Am I cheap?! I dunno man, I don't have problems with "cheap" brands. Some people are sort of snobby about brands, but as long as the formula is great and it stays on my nails, I don't care. You know what usually does chip on me? butterLondons, Illamasquas, and RBLs. Not saying I don't also love them and own lots of them. I do. I really like Illamasqua Cameo and Muse very much a lot, but they don't photograph to save my camera's soul and if I have to pick favorite favorites, it's Pure Ice French Kiss allllll the way.
**As an aside, I think Orly's Royal Navy SHOULD be my favorite color evar, but unfortunately it is not. The first time I tried it I didn't shake it up, so it was very boring and none of the amazeballs shimmer got onto my nails. Ever since I just sort of forget what a great polish it actually is, so it never gets used :'( Plus I mostly use cremes exclusively for both nail art and swatching; I think glitter swatches should be over cremes so you can really see what's in the topper (but that's just me, I'm weird).
- - * - -
Check out the other posts in this series:
- To read the first post, Beginning with a Basic (white creme edition), click here!
- To read the second post, Neutral-ish Glitters, click here!
- Q&A post about budgets, how I pick polishes, etc.: click here.
- Paint it Black (the other important basic)
Please keep in mind that this series is a combo of my personal opinions (obvs, as is everything you've ever read here) and experience with polishes that I find fundamental. I expect your Top Ten Necessary Polish Choices to be different & I'd love to hear what they are; please leave a comment, chat with me on Facebook, or tweet me about it (@manicurity)!
What's your power color? Classic red, flirty pink, edgy vamps?! Let me know in the comments!