Knowing what you know now, what beauty advice would you give your teenage self?
This is such an awesome question!!! At first my only thought was 'blend', but as I've been thinking about it I have like 193042425 things I want to tell myself! No worries, I won't list all 193042425 things - just the most important ones.
- Blend everything - that thick, poorly applied eyeliner on the lashline and any eyeshadow in general needs blending! Also in this vein, less is more!! A little black eyeliner can smudge a loooong way.
- Wear something with SPF ALWAYS! Make it a habit so that it sticks; maybe being more diligent about the SPF would have saved my face/chest from countless horrible sunburns at college football games (who wants a wrinkly chest when they're older? NO ONE.)
- Stop picking and/or touching your face all the time; it causes scars and it's a bad habit to break.
- Eyeshadow primer - I don't know if eye primer was available when I was a teenager? But it's what got me through crazy long days of college and work and kept my shadow intact!
- Get professionally matched foundation - to be honest, I still haven't done this but I feel like it would help make so many decisions so much easier! That way I would have a better idea how products would work with my complexion before purchasing (like lipsticks, ugh)
- Choose drugstores with beneficial return polices and use them - self explanatory
- Do not dye your hair too many shades dark, it will take forever to grow out and you have to change ALL of your makeup and clothing colors. But everyone will say you look like your Mom, so that's cute!
- Speak up when someone is cutting your hair in a way you don't like - especially important for curly-haired ladies. I can't tell you how many times I've been growing my hair out past my shoulders and a horrible hair cut sends me all the way back to a chin-length bob because someone put in ~layers~ that do not blend. Mullets do not look sexy on anyone.
- Fast. Dry. Top. Coat. = godsend. Keeping my nails polished has helped me break the habit of chewing nails/hangnails and I think it's generally kept me in better health, besides looking fly! Who knew that avoiding open wounds where hangnails used to be would keep germs out, right!?
And last but not least, something that I know my Mom has been great about reinforcing is that it's all just a big experiment and it doesn't last forever. The makeup washes off, the polish removes if you hate the color, and your hair will grow out again. What matters most is being happy, enjoying life, and taking care of yourself! [Awwwww.]
- - - - - * - - - - -
Be sure to check out the other Metro Atlanta Beauty Bloggers' answers!
Ashley Elizabeth from Ashley Elizabeth's Beauty Blog
Dionne from Glittery Fingers & Sparkling Toes
Emma from Manicurity
Harri from TrailerHood Chic
Mandy from MandysSecrets
Pam from Pammy Blogs Beauty
Quinn from Mama Fashionista
If you would like to see previous questions and answers, you can do so by viewing the Question Archive here.
If you're a beauty blogger in the Metro Atlanta area and would like to join us, please visit our website! We would love to connect with you!